There is always a call for equality in every field at every point in time. This principle applies not only to a specific country or region but also to every known unknown part of this world. Be it at the workplace, home, cinemas, or at every distinct place; inequality is common.
In today’s society, people are fighting for justice in vivid areas like racial discrimination, gender-biasedness, sexual harassment, and the list of inequality goes on. Every country in the world tries to reduce these disparities prevalent for different classes in various ways. Government plays a key role in abolishing and reducing gaps in society. They release or launch schemes, protests, movements, policies, etc
One significant type of inequality found globally is the treatment of specially-abled people at different places. These people find it extremely difficult to find jobs because right from the preliminary schooling, they are treated differently. But, in the light of this issue, the Australian government initiated a service known as DES (Disability Employment Services).
Disability Employment Services is a government-funded platform by Australia that gathers the disabled unemployed people and employers and aids both parties with their respective motives. The initiative is designed for people born with any kind of disabilities and/or possess any injuries or ailments. People seeking help for employment must visit atworkaustralia.com.au for advice and suggestions.
There are many things to understand about the great service platform created by the government of Australia. Therefore the following section will help you with the guide to DES and its working.
5 Tips & Guidelines for Understanding Everything About DES Australia
The following 5 tips will provide a newbie with a detailed information guide about DES and how it works.
Understanding of Exact Terminology
It is important to understand that DES is a direct employment provider and acts as a supporter, guide, mentor, and adviser for disabled people. They prepare them for the competitive environment and directly communicate with them to get employed without any disturbance or hassle.
They offer employment seekers recruitment solutions, innovative drives, and different practices to get industry-specific skills & knowledge. They promise to be with the seekers throughout their employment journey. They assist them right from knowledge providing to application & the final recruitment process.
DES Programs Knowledge
People wanting to be a part of the DES service must know who the employers are and what type of businesses they have & carry. The employers range from all the three scale-sized organizations, i.e., small, medium, and large-sized. Many non-profit organizations also select and train employees through DES.
Moreover, people new to DES must also note the different DES programs that a person can engage or be involved in. There are two programs out of which a person will qualify for. These are –
- DES Disability Management Service
- DES Employment Support Service
The DES-DMS is for people stuck with a temporary disability, injury, or issues of health as they find a suitable job for them. On the other hand, the DES-ESS qualifies people who have a permanent lifelong disability. The latter category receives more attention as they require more training and skills development.
Activities, Functions, & Role
The core activities of employers include – finding and interpreting the strengths, weaknesses, and skills of the person, identifying the hindrances of health issues associated with the work, developing necessary skill set & working proficiency, and finally offering the employment opportunity. A person must keep a note of such basics about the DES platform.
Apart from these major activities, there are many sub-activities and roles that DES performs. These activities include –
- Creating awareness through the performance of activities about different forms of disabilities
- Developing job information, job design/layout & job responsibilities to give clarity to the new job seekers
- Providing training sessions to give a perfect comfort level
- Gather & give details about wage subsidies
- Give all the support to the employees for comfortable accommodation.
Eligibility Criteria & Ways to Enter DES
People should also understand that there are specific eligibility norms that a job seeker must qualify before entering the DES system. These criteria are shown hereunder:
- The person must be possessed with any one or more than one disability, health issue or ailment, or a severe injury.
- It is mandatory for the disabled person to be a resident of Australia or an eligible Visa holder.
- The person must be above 14 years of age and below the qualifying age in Age Pension.
- The DES job seeker must be of an age to work in their city or territory legally.
- The person should not be a full-time student. However, an exception is provided to this criterion.
- They must possess an applicable Employment Services Assessment (ESAt) or Job Capacity Assessment (JCA). These documents suggest DES that the person has the capacity to work for a minimum of eight hours a week. Also, it highlights that the person will not work beyond the assessed work capability.
If the person fails to have an ESAt or JCA, they must qualify the following norms:
- They must be full-time school students who are in their final year possessing a major disability, moving from a qualified transition-to-work program or School Leaver Employment Supports (SLES).
- A necessary condition for DES-DMS people is that their disability, injury, or illness must result from particular events like the London bomb attacks.
- People can be eligible for Work Assist if they cannot work properly due to illness, disability, or injury.
Information About Benefitted Disabilities & Types of Jobs
People should note which types of disabilities are considered under the DES program. There are several kinds of disabilities that DES does not consider. The DES approved disabilities are:
- Anxiety & depression
- Personal injuries
- Chronic unemployment suffered people
- Physical, sensory, intellectual, neurological, psychiatric, and learning disabilities.
It is also crucial to note down what jobs a person will receive once fully trained. The work profiles depend on the level of injury, illness, or disability. Work is provided as per the comfort level of the job seeker. The most common work assigned in DES is workplace modification and related jobs.