Every driver exposes oneself to danger when an engine starts and leaves a parking lot. First of all, the experience of a certain person plays an important role. Besides, the experience and behavior of other participants matter.
However, the technical condition of a vehicle has paramount importance. Hence, deciding to acquire a used car, every person should realize the risks and take all the necessary measures so that not to endanger oneself and other people on the road.
The best option is to find a vehicle that has been used for only several years. Though sometimes, the reality is different. Being pressed for money, many people are forced to buy older machines. In such a case, it is immensely important to know all the vehicle history including all the accidents, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair works, etc.
The best possibility to carry out this investigation is to request a VIN number of an automobile under consideration and use a service such as FAXVIN with this purpose. While you carry out a thorough study of a car report, be sure to check the following:
- How often oil in all the assemblies have been replaced (engine, transmission, gear, etc.).
- The sequence of brake fluid replacement, as well as all the other consumables.
- Replacement of seals and packing and those components recommended by a manufacturer.
Usually, the information on required components to be changed and the sequence are provided in the operation and maintenance manual. Every manufacturer has certain requirements that are different for every model. Nowadays, these manuals can be even found on the web or requested at an official dealer site.
The Exterior of a Car: Does It Matter?
It seems that the condition of a car body is just a matter of aesthetic looks. However, the way it looks may tell a lot about its maintenance and history. Thus, it is necessary to pay attention to the following:
- The state of every part, if it has been repainted and why. It is important to compare the report info on accidents and repair works and check if all the data are present in it. If something does not coincide, this is the reason for questions and doubts.
- The presence of corrosion. In some places, it may not be evident or visible. If the surface is bubbled, this can be the sign of corrosion that has been painted over.
- The state of the engine compartment will tell the truth about maintenance, its sequence. Besides, this will be the proof of how a previous owner has cared about a car. If it is dirty and all covered by oil spills, this will tell that a car has been neglected.
- The same applies to the state inside. Check the ceiling and seats. Are they neat? Are the covers original? If they have been replaced, it is necessary to be sure that the only reason is the wish to change an aesthetic look of a car.
Before buying a certain vehicle, it always makes sense to carry out service investigation at the official station so that to identify possible flaws and defects. First, this is the way to properly estimate the cost of this automobile. Besides, knowing what can be wrong with a car will reduce the risks of accidents due to the technical condition to the minimum.
What Else to Check
- The state of tires, especially of those for winter. They have to be regularly replaced as per the recommendations of a manufacturer. Though, rarely, a car is sold with recently replaced tires.
- The condition of airbags if there has been an accident in the vehicle history report.
- Particular attention should be paid to the list of previous owners. This list can be found in the same report. If it is quite long, this vehicle is probably not in the best state. Why would so many people try to get rid of it? Besides, the more owners, the worse it has been maintained.
This is not so easy to identify if a particular vehicle is safe. There are plenty of other aspects that crucially matter. Nowadays, lots of cars are equipped with front-edge electronic systems that prevent accidents, protect a driver, passengers, and even pedestrians.
Thus, the better these systems are, the more developed, the more protected every person in a machine will be. When it comes to electronic protecting systems, this is hard to identify if they are sufficient and working. Thus, it is necessary to carefully study the list of options and mechanisms, as well as consult with an official representative to get to know more.
Additionally, if safety is among your primary concerns, check crush tests and reports of IIHS, an American organization that estimates and ranks the cars according to the level of safety they ensure for the passengers in the event of an accident.
Verification of a Vendor
Paying so much attention to the state of a certain car, it is important not to forget that it is necessary to be cautious with a person who sells this car. In the first place, a vendor is replying to all the questions. Thus, make sure that this person is not fraud:
- Is this an owner or a professional vendor? In the latter case, try checking the history of his/her work, sales, feedback, etc. If you deal with an owner, try finding out all the details about this car.
- Be attentive to behavior. Here, it is worth remembering all the signs of a person who lies. Honest responses are a great sign of finding a reliable person with a reliable vehicle. Long pause before an answer – think twice before confirming the deal.
In general, getting ready for such a purchase is responsible not only because a person will spend a certain amount of money but also may risk one’s life due to the technical condition of a machine that will be bought. Hence, being attentive is significant for the financial state, as well as the safety of a person who acquires a previously owned automobile.